Kernel source

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 21:43:17 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Francois <frmas at free.fr>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2007 3:49:03 PM
Subject: Kernel source

Hi,

I used to compile my own kernel, using the source available on kernel.org.
With that new computer, where I installed Fedora7, I installed and run the
kernel provided with Fedora, not a one of my own.
Now I need to compile a driver for my webcam (uvcvideo), and it fails
because of the source of the kernel not installed.
What do I have to download to get the source ?
I saw files like kernel-devel, kernel-doc, kernel-headers, kernel-PAE,
kernel-xen, etc...  I'm a little bit confused.
Another question : it seems that source should be installed
under /usr/src/kernels/2.xxxxx, why "kernels/" ? Why not "linux", or
linux-2.6.21xxxx
Thank you. Francois
--
----- End of Original Message ----

Francois,

You probably just need kernel-devel package.
# yum install kernel-devel

If that is not the case, then you will need full source so you look for the src package.  Try the kernel-devel package first, it should meet your requirements.

Regards,

Antonio