Trying to mirror logical volume.

Kamal Shaker kys-fedora at ilzey.net
Sun Jul 8 15:46:30 UTC 2007

Hi, I've got a new spare disk and am trying to migrate to LVM and mirror
my the partitions.

If I try to mirror one of the volumes, I get this:

# lvconvert -d -d -d -m1 rootvg/squid
  Insufficient suitable allocatable extents for logical volume : 4864
more required
# lvconvert -d -d -d -m0 rootvg/squid
  Logical volume squid is already not mirrored.

If I use system-config-lvm and select the mirror checkbox, I get:

"There must be at free space on at least three Physical Volumes to
enable mirroring".

Why does it insist on this? It seems a bit crazy for simple mirroring of
disks.

More info below, in case it's pertinent (on F7 in that matters):

# pvscan
  PV /dev/sdc1   VG rootvg   lvm2 [279.46 GB / 105.46 GB free]
  PV /dev/sdb1   VG rootvg   lvm2 [279.46 GB / 279.46 GB free]
# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/rootvg/virtual' [155.00 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/rootvg/squid' [19.00 GB] inherit
# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/rootvg/virtual
  VG Name                rootvg
  LV UUID                5QV5Yi-pSpI-TPVZ-PUqs-vlYo-Sskp-gDwziD
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                155.00 GB
  Current LE             39680
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/rootvg/squid
  VG Name                rootvg
  LV UUID                zSeMxg-OM4g-zRyq-5mE9-urVy-DIoi-iDTYI9
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                19.00 GB
  Current LE             4864
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:3

--
Kamal Shaker, email: kys at ilzey.net   WWW: http://www.ilzey.net/~kys/
   Science has promised us truth. It has never promised us