DVD drive to use with Fedora 7

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Mon Jul 9 02:25:19 UTC 2007

Hi Ed

>> I am looking at replacing my old IDE Pioneer DVD burner (which I can get
>> to work with Fedora 7) with a new SATA Pioneer DVR-212D burner.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with this drive with F7?
>>
>> I read a review of this drive online mentioning that Fedora didn't
>> support SATA DVD burners.  Can anyone confirm or deny that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Don't know...but could you post the URL for the review that makes the statement?

Review is found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16827129008

It is the second of two.  To balance that opinion have a look at:

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=1308503&threadid=1308503&forum=103&product_id=23283&msgcount=12&overclockid=0

The last post on this list mentions that the poster had no problems with
it under linux (but doesn't mention which flavor).

If Fedora is known to support SATA DVD burners, then I will happily take
the risk and buy one.  Just thought it worth checking before I spent any
money.

Regards,
Langdon