Installation over existing LVM

Bruno Costacurta pubmb01 at skynet.be
Mon Jul 9 21:13:21 UTC 2007

On Sunday 08 July 2007 22:11, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I don't think you can have /boot on an LVM.
> >> Certainly everyone seems to advise against it.
> >>
> >> I think the bootloader proper (the bit in the MBR or wherever)
> >> only has a very simple view of the partitioning,
> >> which would not include LVM, I imagine.
> >>
> >> If you actually have a /boot that works,
> >> why not just add a stanza for Fedora-7 to that?
> >
> > Correct. I intend to add a grub entry for Fedora-7, but so how can I
> > install Fedora-7 without any boot considerations and leave this to a
> > later manual procedure ?
>
> I always specify that I want to mount the existing /boot as /boot ,
> but not format it.
> This leaves the existing kernels there.
> But maybe I have misunderstood the question.

However the only detected the drive is the LVM one. LVM are refused for /boot
The partition RAID is not detected.

To resume can I install Fedora-7 on LVM without /boot (because refused on LVM)
as I intend to create a stanza on /boot (on other disks with RAID-1) ?

Thanks for your attention and any clue.
Bye,
Bruno