Kernel versions, xen, grub.conf, yum upgrades

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 11 03:15:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 22:50 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> [snip]
> >> (1) The default kernel for loading appears to be an xen version.  Why
> [snip]
> >
> > I think this was a glitch in the Fedora 7 installation.
> > I got a xen kernel too, which I yum removed,
> > and then when I ran yum update it seemed to get the latest version
> > (vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7).
>
> In FC6 this was the result of selecting the virtualization stuff during
> the install.  Could that be the case here?

I don't think so.  It's about 3 weeks since I installed FC7 (a fresh
install, not an upgrade), so I'm a little fuzzy, but I don't remember
asking for xen.  There's another odd thing about the setup, namely
sysonfig/kernel is set not to use the latest kernel by default, which
answers my other question.

Vide:
        $ cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel
        # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
        # new kernels the default
        UPDATEDEFAULT=no

        # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
        DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen

I suspect this is the default or a very easy to get at option for the
installation of new kernels, which is why I put "HEADS UP!" in the
header.

jon