looks like mailman has a problem with selinux

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jul 11 21:29:49 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> I think I narrowed down the situation.  I tried to subscribe to one
> of my lists.  The mail with the confirmation came just fine but I
> did not get a confirmation that I was subscribed.  I double checked
> all my config files including defaults.py to ensure no
> inconsistencies, main.cf from Postfix, Mailman's mm_cfg.py for
> inconsistencies, and the logs.  The logs don't indicate much at all.

Did you fix the aliases problem you had?  Without the proper list
aliases in /etc/mailman/aliases you won't get any mail delivered to
those lists.   You do also have the mailman aliases file added to the
alias_maps in postfix's main.cf, right?

> So I am now assuming that it is Selinux.

I wouldn't automatically assume it's selinux.  Remind me again what
Fedora version you're running?  I've got F7 here and I setup mailman
with postfix the other day and can subscribe and post to lists, read
the archives and other tasks with selinux in enforcing mode.  There
may well be issues that come up in further usage, but I don't think
there are any with basic subscription and posting.

> I am at the enforced stage of Selinux if I relax it to permissive
> since I know hardly nothing about Selinux would this be appropriate?

You can easily test whether it works in permissive mode by running

# setenforce 0

If things magically work after that, then there's an selinux issue to
be looked at (perhaps mislabeled files or something).  You could then
choose to find and fix those issues or ignore them and simple run
selinux in permissive mode by configuring /etc/sysconfig/selinux.

> If not, could some one please explain to me how to set up Selinux
> correctly?

Ideally you won't have to do any setup to have it work.  If you do
need to tweak something, it'll take some reading.  On my test system
I've got the selinux troubleshooting tool installed and anytime
there's an selinux denial it'll notify me on the gnome panel.
Clicking that brings up a graphical tool that tries to explain the
denial and how you might fix it.  That's been quite helpful to me in
learning more about solving selinux issues rather than simply
disabling it.

> Thanks for all the help guys it is very much appreciate and I have a
> few more things to set up as well.  Again thank you very much I am
> greatful to you for your help.

Sure thing.

Ninety percent of everything is crap.
    -- Sturgeon's Law