Mirage - best image viewer for Gnome desktop!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 12 09:06:16 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> The usual Gnome "Image Viewer" is "eog" (Eye of GNOME).  It does a
>> reasonable job, and is fairly quick.  I just installed Mirage to
>> compare, and I think they're pretty much on a par with each other.

Valent Turkovic:
> I opened it up and I remembered why I don't use eog and it because it
> lacks two of my most desired features:
> * fullscreen view by default (or as an option to set - not as a button
> to press afterwards)

Hmm, hadn't noticed that.  But its open in "full screen" appears to be
just maximised window, not real full screen.  Did you manage to get to
open in a real full screen mode?

> * mouse wheel support for next/previous picture

Ugh, I like being able to use the wheel for zooming.

I do dislike how some image viewers use space and backspace for
next/prior, even though I tend to expect it.  I'm used to backspace also
doing a delete, and it's somewhat disconcerting to use a deletion key.
Using cursor keys for next/prior can be convenient, until you want to
whiz around part of a zoomed image, and end up changing images.

> Speed-wise they are both great, but eog lacks some essential features
> and that is why it is unusable for me.

They're both a bit basic, but then sometimes you want that.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.