Cut-and-paste in Gnome Terminal

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jul 12 17:27:14 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been asked, but I missed it.  What the devil happened
>> to the ability to cut-and-paste using the middle mouse button in
>> gnome-terminal?  It selects text with the left button ok, but if it
>> pastes at all, it pastes stuff from other applications--NOT what's
>> selected.
>>
>> Worked great in previous Fedoras.  What happened?

>> - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -
>>

> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
> 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
>

> The above is from the Gnome Terminal and carried over to this email. I
> selected with the left switch and then had to press both switches
> (middle) to write it here in the message.
>
> I think it's working here on F7 and wonder why not on yours.
>
> Karl

I think it has to do with how the X server probes the mouse each time.
When I first installed FC7, it worked but later it didn't.  I then added
the mouse configuration to the Xorg.conf file.  Now it works as expected.

It may be dependent on older/newer hardware and trying to make things
more Plug and Play.

My problems were slightly different so you may want to try it just in case.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.