Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jul 13 15:47:09 UTC 2007

Mustafa Qasim wrote:

>     Consumers are not interested in the OS wars. They don't care about
>     fighting the "Evil empire in Redmond".  For most consumers, a
>     computer
>     is a tool, a means to an end. They want to turn it on, log into
>     it, and
>     use it to do the things they want to do. They expect their computer to
>     automatically connect to the internet without hours of time spent
>     trying
>     to get their wireless to work, and frequently never succeeding. They
>     expect to hook up their printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc. and
>     have them immediately work, not spend hours trying to find
>     drivers, etc.
>     They expect to view a video sent by a friend by clicking on the
>     attachment, and have it work, not spend hours trying to get the right
>     codecs, and frequently never being able to play everything they can
>     effortlessly play on windows. They expect application programs to
>     play
>     music, etc. to be user friendly, not "Wizard" friendly.
>

> So Respected Sir GaryCarr .. acoording to your statements can u
> justify Linux? after reading you statements that are of course true
> can we suggest Linux instead of Windows?
>

> --
> Mustafa Qasim
> Lahore, Pakistan
> Cell: 0321-6614972
I have many friends and my wife to work with because they all use
Windows or a Mac. They never even thought about Linux. 10 years ago it
was hard to get X Windows to work, much less be better than Windows.
Today with F7, it is much easier to install, and a lot like Windows XP.
But there are a lot of questions asked by the loader that are Greek to
my wife and friends. So loading is a event not enjoyed.

    Once loaded and operational there are a lot of things the Windows
user wants to find and many can't because in Linux the name is
different. It goes on and the only one you get using Linux is the person
who likes computers. This is a tiny subset of those that use computers.

Karl