Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 13 17:41:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 09:13 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Mustafa Qasim <alajal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes! I agree with you Mr. Erich but can you or
> > anyone else tell me the key
> > factors that are involved when convincing or guiding
> > a person how much it is
> > easy to move to Linux or how we can make it easy for
> > them to take a test
> > drive of Linux and then make them realize that it's
> > really better their one.
> >
> > I thinks the "Satisfaction factor" comes here. What
> > we need is to build
> > their satisfaction factor in Linux greater then
> > Windows then they'll
> > naturally realize it instead of forcing them to make
> > a blind jump. No one
> > here will make a blind jump and if we force them to
> > do it and after that we
> > couldn't help them too much to keep them in ... then
> > they will never ever
> > come back... :P ...
> >
> > so, what r the points to build the satisfaction
> > factor of a person on Linux?
> >
> > On 7/13/07, Erich Zigler <ezigler at superhero.org>
> > wrote:

> > these issues but at the
> > > end
> > philosophy of FOSS they
> > much easier and secure
> > source or concept of mounting
> > didn't have to do this in M$
> > >
> > > I really do enjoy this subject. The bottom line is
> > that most desktop users
> > > out there do not care about licensing, holy wars,
> > FOSS, etc. They only
> > > care about one thing... does it work.
> > >
> > > Can they as a user sit down and get what they need
> > to done or will they be
> > > spending more time working on their workstation so
> > they can then work on
> > > their workstation.
> > >
> > > Linux has gotten much more "common man" user
> > friendly then it used to be.
> > > (Does any one else remember installing Slackware
> > from 26 floppies?) At
> > > this point in time I feel Linux has gotten to be
> > user friendly enough for
> > > the non-geeks out there to operate. People do not
> > like change. Individuals
> > > who were raised on Windows will stick with Windows
> > because it is what they
> > > know. Unless there is some stimulus for change it
> > is difficult to convince
> > > people to give it a shot.
> > >
> > > - Erich

> > --
> > Mustafa Qasim

> This is an excellent question, with many fine answers
> from people across the world.
>
> One answer I can think of, is to go to a computer
> store.  Tell the salesperson that you just want the
> computer no software no OS.
>
> Then ask the guy how much the computer costs.  It
> costs $X and that is fine.
>
> Then ask the guy if the computer has an OS, XP/Vista
> and how much does more it cost.
>
> The bottom line here is to buy two computers for head
> to head comparison.  One with the default OS being
> Vista/XP and one with no OS. On the machine with no OS
> [...]
And there is yet another "but".  If the program(s) work for some time,
and the user has a few megabytes of stuff in the OO or other FOSS forms,
and then finds he/she cannot communicate with the Windows users because
MS pulled another shift in modifying how the standards are interpreted,
what happens?  Do you think that person(s) will blame MS?  I think not.
It will be the fault of Linux, and the Windows help desk folks will push
that view point.  And they are the "professionals" and "experts", not
the Linux hobby programmers, at least in the eyes of the consumer.  The
person they pay is the expert.  The person they get for free is the
"hacker" or hobby programmer (isn't hobbiest a word? my spell check
rejects it.).

	This is a very very big hurdle.  Having companies like RedHat on the
scene makes it less "risky" to the consumer, so Microsoft's latest
forays into these licensing deals is a double edged sword.  On the one
hand they are extending credibility to the Linux movement.  But on the
other they are threatening it by removing the cachet of respectability
from Linux and the work of the developers who make it and keep it
evolving.

I don't know the answer, but I know that Linux is involved for a battle
for its life, as is MS.

Regards,
Les H