Add Wireless to Laptop

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 21:00:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:47:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]
> Try this. Get the following init.d script to stop running: networks
> Run scripts : NetwrokManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher.
> This is done by running chkconfig.
>
> Now when you log-in an icon will appear in the upper left corner of the
> panels. Right click on the icon (called nm-applet) and choose the wired
> or wireless connection you want to start. The first time you may have to
> input configuration informaton but after that you will have to enter the
> passwd of your keyring. That you set the first time you are asked for
> it.
>
> Give it a shot. Ask again if there are problems.

[...]

I tried it, and it didn't work.  Here are some notes:

1. I had to edit NetwrokManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher because
   they had no levels specified.  This suggests to me that there
   must be another procedure.

2. I set KDE to allow display of programs on the desktop, which
   I had previously blocked.

3. I boot to level 3, and then type startx.  It is my guess that
   this is not important.  It is odd that I did not have to edit
   inittab after the installation; it installed that way.  I don't
   remember selecting any option on this.

4. When I booted after your modifications, it came up with the
   wired connection active.

5. When I try to manually activate the wired the connection, I got:

      eys-eth1: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
      keys-eth1: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
      keys-eth1: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
      keys-eth1: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
      3c501 device eth1:1 does not seem to be present, delaying
         initialization.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.