Would like to use frame buffer with FC6

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 16 02:16:54 UTC 2007

When I boot FC kernels on various machines, I don't get framebuffer
video, while when I boot a kernel.org kernel I do. Well, with the built
kernel I have the video built in, but that doesn't allow the kernel to
run on all the machines in the office.

So. I started by trying video=intelfb, and nothing happened. I tried to
just modprobe the intelfb, would up with no working video (I expected
that and rebooted off the network).

Then I tried putting the intelfb and i2c-piix4 modules in the initrd
file, since those ate the features I build in, maybe they need to be
loaded sooner. No, same halfway through the boot, screen blank, boot
stops, machine is totally unresponsive.

Repeat with several machines with Radeon cards, using radeonfb or atyfb,
same dismal results.

Summary, I can build custom kernels, I can pull Fedora source and
(presumably) build in what I want there, and have to have a kernel for
each machine, or run whatever video Fedora runs by default. So since I
don't do any special graphics on these I don't need magic kernels, and
I've been building kernels since Linux was four floppy "MCC" releases,
that's not an issue. I just want to know why I can't preload the modules
and have it work.

Note: when I build fb in, I don't use any video= option at boot, I get a
nice display with whatever driver. Other than setting custom
resolutions, I am happy with the default choices for size.

I looked at some docs, most seemed to relate to people who just can't
get video working at all.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>