2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Jul 16 14:50:32 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:
> Okay, I"ve asked on another list and haven't had a response, so I
> thought I'd ask here.  I've been reading the changelog for the .22
> kernel and I'm really interested in the new WiFi architecture rewrite in
> it.  I noticed that only a handful of drivers were stable in that
> kernel, but that other drivers (including my broadcom card) drivers were
> in the upstream kernel still being tested.
>
> Here's my question, how will the .22 kernel work with an old driver
> setup?  Will I still be able to use my broadcom/ndiswrapper combo until
> the new driver is available, or should I just avoid the .22 kernel until
> the driver support is better?
>
> I've read that Fedora and Ubuntu already are using the new driver models
> (or something along those lines) so what's been the experience so far?

No love for me yet:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN
Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)

Kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 Requires newer firmware.

The card seems to function, but never will negotiate an IP under any
circumstances.  Not will it accept a fixed IP.

Get alot of these messages:

Jul 15 04:45:14 serenity NetworkManager: <info>  Error getting
killswitch power: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch.NotSupported -
Access type not supported

Good Luck!