Distro hopping again: freespire

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 16 17:16:11 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 16/07/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>> On Sun July 15 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > But the Windows Media stuff is one of my biggest
>> > problems in Fedora/*buntu,
>>
>> What's the problem? I've got it working in several different distros,
>> in fact
>> I've not found a distro I couldn't get it to work in. I did discover
>> recently, a change in the way mplayerplug-in installs itself, on at
>> least two
>> occasions - perhaps this just has to do with the way it was packaged.
>> If you
>> click on a Windows Media file after following the proper procedure for
>> installing the codecs and mplayer and mplayerplug-in (I still
>> recommend the
>> outline posted way back by Stanton Finley which continues to work well
>> for F7
>> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html) and
>> the file
>> doesn't play, try right-clicking on the player window and looking at the
>> configuration settings. On at least two occasions recently, I found
>> that the
>> video and audio output fields weren't filled in - I've found X11 and
>> Alsa to
>> generally work, respectively, but your mileage may vary.
>>
>> --
>> Claude Jones
>> Brunswick, MD, USA
>
> Thanks, Claude. My main problem is MMS streams. For my university
> lectures, I need full MMS stream support. That means not downloading
> the full stream, but watching it online, including FF, rewind, pause,
> slow/fast play, etc. Until now I've been watching them in VMWare
> running XP. I hate WMP, but I cannot get mPlayer to play these
> streams, not even in the VM on Windows.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://lyricslist.com/;-)
> http://what-is-what.com/

Have you tried to play mms streams with mplayer and the CLI?

See the man page.

mms streams are blocked at the firewall so I cannot test.

Using the arrow keys, you may be able to move forward and backward.
Again, see the man page for instructions.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.