2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jul 17 11:30:08 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Mark Haney writes:
>
>> Here's my question, how will the .22 kernel work with an old driver
>> setup?  Will I still be able to use my broadcom/ndiswrapper combo until
>> the new driver is available, or should I just avoid the .22 kernel until
>> the driver support is better?
>
> Unfortuntely, no kernel developer gives a friggin hoot about
> ndiswrapper. If it's broken, nobody will really care about it. Sorry.
>
>> I've read that Fedora and Ubuntu already are using the new driver models
>> (or something along those lines) so what's been the experience so far?
>
> I've done my homework, and use hardware that's supported by native Linux
> drivers (Centrino). Since there has not been a .22 kernel errata update
> for F7, yet, I haven't yet installed it, but, I have no reasons to
> expect any problems with wireless, when I do.
>
> Such are the benefits of using Linux drivers with Linux, instead of
> Windows drivers with Linux.

You know, replies like this really irritate me. Not only do they not
answer the question, you get a nice little 'lecture' on 'linux for
linux'.  Let me see if I can set things straight.  I had NO CHOICE in
laptops.  I got what I was given by the company.  I CHOSE to run linux
on it since I detest windows and refuse to buy tools when open source
options are better.  Therefore I was unable to do any 'homework'.

Therefore, your comments mean bupkiss to me and probably a lot of other
people.  They are not helpful and shouldn't waste my bandwidth having to
view them.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support