qt4 i386 on FC6

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Jul 18 15:28:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:11:01PM +0200, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
> David Jansen wrote on Wed, Jul 18 2007 at 11:10 (+0200):
> > A user at our institute has a program that comes as a binary rpm, and
> > needs qt4. But the program is built as a 32-bit executable, and the
> > computer is a 64-but system. Now there doesn't seem to be a i386 rpm of
> > qt4 in Fedora Extras for FC6. Does anyone know why?
> > I noticed the i386 package exists for Fedora 7 so maybe an upgrade will
> > do the trick, but on the other hand, the makers of the program told us
> > it was only tested for FC5, FC6 and RHEL4 so maybe we will run into a
> > new set of problems after the upgrade.
> > Would installing the qt4 package from an fc6 i386 repository be
> > compatible or are those packages different from the i386 packages in a
> > x86_64 repository?
>
> Besides that your question does not make sense given your statements
> above (how can you install an fc6 i386 qt4 if there is no such?), you
> could try compile your i386 version of qt4 yourself by installing the
> source rpm package of the x86_64 version and compile it targetting an
> i386 ISA.
>
> Andreas.

It exists in the i386 repository of Fedora Extras, not in the x86_64
repository. But I don't know if it would be safe to mix packages like
that, there must be a reason why no qt4.i386 exists in the x86_64
repository, although I haven't found such a reason in the changlog or
the spec file of the rpm. I'll give it a try to recompile the rpms.

David