How to post replies here properly

stan stanl at cox.net
Wed Jul 18 19:58:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:40:43 -0500, Ray Bramton wrote:

> I'm wondering how I should be posting replies here in the proper
> manner, I'm new as of 7-17-07.  I am a subscriber with
> LinuxQuestions.org and I want to broaden my knowledge of Fedora so
> here I am. I use Pine and I tried copying the subject to the subject
> header prepended with "Re:" and it showed up in the list under the
> appropriate subject but it had "<Possible follow-ups>" above it and
> the reply doesn't show up at the bottom of the thread.  Thanks ahead
> of time.

Another alternative is to use the pan newsreader.

yum install pan

Run pan from Internet -> pan newsreader

Go to Edit -> Edit newsservers

Add news.gmane.org, the rest of the defaults should be OK.

Now go to the group pane.  Click on Other Groups.  Then in the little
box in the upper left that has group name in gray, type gmane to see
all the gmane groups or gmane.linux.redhat.fedor.general to see only
this group.

Click on the name, and a dialog box will come up.  Accept the default
by hitting enter.

You will now be in the header pane with a threaded list of all the
emails from this list.  All of the pan newsreader commands are now
available to read them.

If you want to reply to a posting/email, click Post -> Reply to author
in mail. That will bring up a separate window for pan with
For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
in the  Mail to field.

Now it is just sending an email.  Actually this is a test of it all as
I haven't used it before.  If this shows up on the list, the above
method works.  :-)

When I clicked post article in the pan article window, it launched my
default mail client and put the message in it.

And, as I suspected might happen, the To address failed.  I was hoping
the client was smart enough to parse it, but it isn't.  So you'll have
to edit the extraneous garbage out of the To address, then send.
i.e. Delete the "For users of Fedora <" and the trailing ">" leaving
only fedora-list at redhat.com

Maybe there is a way to set up pan to do this for you when sending to
a mail client.

This method is of course applicable to any newsreader software you
might prefer allowing for different setup.  Newsreaders are time tested
for dealing with high volume groups.