New issues with Sending email: related to Domain name transfer?

Linus Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 01:06:08 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone
I have a fully qualified domain name: "afolkey2.net" and I have been
running my own website and mailserver with that domain for quite some
time.  I have been able to successfully receive & Send email from any
of a variety of "afolkey2.net" email addresses.

But, I just transferred the above mentioned domain to a new registrar
(like I said above, I host my own website and run my own mailserver)
Now, I can no longer send email from any afolkey2.net email addresses.
 Squirrelmail, Claws-mail, Thunderbird.  I get errors like this:

** error occurred on SMTP session
*** Error occurred while sending the message:
550 5.7.1 <transfer at ipowerweb.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup
failed [192.168.1.1]

or this:

       ERROR                            Connection refused
Server replied: 111 Can't open SMTP stream.

I have seen various references to the above errors on the Internet.
But I brought this issue here because it sure seems strange that I
could receive & Send email from afolkey2.net email addreses before I
switched registrars, but as soon as the transfer was completed (and
24+ hours later as well)  I no longer can Send email from afolkey2.net
addresses.

My  name servers are as follows:
ns1.dnsexit.com & ns2.dnsexit.com

If I check to see what my nameservers are using the following four
methods, they are listed exactly as quoted above:
1. "jwhois afolkey2.net"
2. https://manage.opensrs.net/
3. https://dom07.ipowerweb.com:8087/panel/index (Using "Domain Admin |
Domain Name Manager" on my registrar's provided cpanel.)
4. http://www.internic.net

BUT, if I check the "Domain Admin | Zone File Manager" on my
registrar's cpanel, my nameservers are listed thusly:
ns1.ipowerweb.net
ns2.ipowerweb.net
ns1.ipowerdns.com
ns2.ipowerdns.com

I just sent an email to my new registrar about this definite
discrepancy.  But my question(s) for you guru's out there are as
follows:
1. Any ideas if it is feasibly that my email sending ability would be
eliminated just by changing registrar's?
2. If not, then why did my email setup "Just Work" right until the
transfer went through?
3. Could the obvious discrepancy in nameserver settings be the cause of this?
4. And, the obvious, if the discrepancy is just a coincidence, why did
this happen now, and not before the transfer?

For an exact copy of my Live Chat with my registrar, as well as what I
sent to their domain transfer department, look here:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/afolkey2.net.txt

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help you can give me,
Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: This is my first posting to a mailing list while using gmail.  I
clicked "Plain Text", but I want to apologize in advance for any
potential evils in the formatting of this message...