A new use for Linux

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 19 20:57:00 UTC 2007

Bazooka Joe wrote:
> Are there any tools for recovering files in ext3 file system?
>
> I recently deleted a old backup of a quickbooks file (which is binary
> i believe) on a linux file server.  It turns out that they had been
> using the backup instead of the main copy for several months.  no
> backup - (save the backup early and often lectures it was a stupid
> move).
>
> On 7/19/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>> Marc wrote:
>> > There are also linux distros like Helix which are designed to
>> > facilitate file recovery.  They give you a lot of tools to do
>> > different mount options and basically allow you to search files on the
>> > disk, copy whatever files you want to another part of the filesystem,
>> > then save them whereever including external usb devices.
>> >
>> > Marc

>> be when

>> (There are

>> I have used OpenOffice on Linux to open files that just won't open on
>> Windows in Office.  This is always a great think when it is your boss's
>> report that refuses to be open and has to be submitted in 10 minutes.
>>

>> --
>> Due to the move to Exchange Server,
>>     anything that is a priority, please phone.
>> Robin Laing
>>
>> --

Yes. Use the first CD of your set or the DVD and when it boots select
the rescue mode. When it comes up it will try to connect to the Linux
partition of your choice. Choose to mount to the Linux that has the lost
files. Find the things you need. Now decide what you want to do with the
files. You can mount another file system and then copy the files to that.

Karl