yum downloadonly

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Fri Jul 20 22:51:38 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>

>> Check out repomanage from yum-utils.  You could use it something like
>> this to move old packages to an archive dir (or remove them):
>>
>> repo=/path/to/cache
>> archive=/path/to/archive
>> repomanage --old $repo | while read package; do
>>     mv "$package" $archive
>> done
>>

> I didn't quite understand this.
> If you wanted to remove the old packages
> couldn't you just say "yum clean cache"
You could if you wanted to get rid of them. I wanted to preserve them so
that if I install another copy of Fedora on a new machine or in a
virtual environment, I can just point to a local copy of the current
updates and have all the packages already available. No need to download
anything (or at least any package that has already been updated; some
programs may be unique to the machine and still need to download an update).