"No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 09:25:03 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Dave Cross wrote:
> > I've just upgraded my FC6 Dell Dimension to F7. Everything seems to be
> > working except the sound. When I try to open the volume control I get
> > the error message "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices
> > found"
> >
> > Running system-config-soundcard shows the card is detected correctly
> > (it's an onboard Intel 82801G - ICH7 Family) but there are no PCM
> > devices listed.
> >
> <-------------------[ SNIP ]---------------->
> >
> > I'm no expert, but it looks like the correct module (snd_hda_intel)
> > has been loaded.
> >
> > This was working fine yesterday under FC6.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> The Intel HDA audio supports many different configurations. Some of
> these are know and set automaticly by the driver. Others require
> that you add an option in modprobe.conf. If you still have a copy of
> your FC-6 modprobe.conf file, compare it to the F-7 version - there
> may be options listed in FC-6 that are not in F-7.

Luckily, I did have an older version of modules.conf. But they were
both pretty much the same - at least as far as the Intel sound driver
was concerned.

There was one weird thing (that was in both the old and new versions).
It had this line which I don't really understand:

remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

I tried it both with and without that line, but it seems to make no difference.

>                                                                         You may also want
> to do a Google search for the ALSA on your laptop to see what
> options others have used to get all the devices shown in the mixer.

This is a desktop (Dell Dimension 5100), not a laptop. Googling for
the chipset shows that many people have had similar problems. Which
is, I suppose, comforting in one way :-)

> You should look in /var/log/messages and see what it messages are
> generated when the sound modules are loaded.

  $  sudo grep hda-intel /var/log/messages.1
  Jul 21 12:07:52 giles kernel: hda-intel: no codecs initialized
  Jul 21 12:20:29 giles kernel: hda-intel: no codecs initialized
  Jul 21 12:28:25 giles kernel: hda-intel: no codecs initialized

Those times correspond to the reboots I did yesterday trying to get
this to work.

> Here is what I have in modprobe.conf for my Toshiba - you can try it
> and see if it helps...

[ snip ]

Thanks, but I don't really want to spend the next few hours trying
random options that I don't really understand. Especially given that
this worked fine under FC6.

> There are a bunch more model options, but I do not have the
> reference for them handy right now.

I've tried Googling for this, but I can't find a reference to the
snd-hda-intel options. Do you know where I can find them online?

Cheers,

Dave...