Mystery of chroot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 23 07:04:04 UTC 2007

David Boles:
>> Let's cut the hyperbole. If Windows is really as bad as you say it is why
>> does 90% of the world use it?  ;-)

Ed Greshko:
> Because it comes for "free" on any PC purchase?

Ed's answer, plus the marketing that promotes is would be the main
reason, in my opinion (simply because it's there, and they're told to
use it).

If I was being a smartarse, I'd give the "a million flies can't be
wrong" comment to David about Windows...

I sort of agree with Felix.  Many people have a system in a diabolical
state.  Sometimes they recognise that, but ignore it.  Sometimes they
have no clue that their crappy-acting PC doesn't have to behave that
way.  It's somewhat of a rarity that they care about it.

I really hate being asked to fix up someone's PC, they're often in a
shocking state before they'll ask fo help.  You've got to chase up
drivers for hardware that you've never heard of before.  You have to
extract passwords, or get services to mail then to you before fixing up
their system (where you might lose them in the fixup).

Those that do have Windows systems in a good state usually have to work
at it, or it's maintained for them by someone else.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-27.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.