Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 23 09:17:59 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:
>> Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any pointers in resolving the problem. When
>> installing the next kernel, I don't wish to be left with new kernel that
>> possibly won't work, and a kernel that definitely doesn't work.
>
> You can at least avoid that fate by editing
>
> /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf
>
> This is responsible for controlling the "last 2 kernels" action in
> yum... you can either disable it in there or change the number of
> kernels it keeps.
At the value of two, yum will keep the currently running kernel, install
a newer kernel, and then erase any other one (it wont erase your
currently running one). Given you can't boot the dodgy one, to the point
where you can run yum, there isn't a way for the possibility you suggest
to occur.

There is other yum- plugings to hold packages at certain releases etc.

DaveT.