Problem with NON-Wireless network card

Steven J. Brown (NY) sbrown at valueline.com
Tue Jul 24 14:49:41 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 20 July 2007 20:04, Steven J. Brown (NY) wrote:
>
>> Andy Green wrote:

>>> I think this device is meant to be handled by a module called "b44".
>>> confirm first that it isn't all actually fine
>>>
>>> ifconfig -a | grep eth0
>>>
>> ifconfig -a | grep eth
>>
>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev
>> 01) 02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
>> (rev 02)
>>
>> Looks OK.
>>

>>> and
>>>
>>> lsmod | grep b44
>>>
>>> If b44 isn't in the lsmod result, try
>>>
>>> modprobe b44 ; dmesg | tail
>>>
>>> to see if that brings any joy.
>>>
>> b44 is in the lsmod result.
>>

>>> -Andy
>>>
>> I tried to add a device in the network configuration utility with a
>> static IP address but this did not work.  Also, when I activated a
>> single device, multiple devices would be marked activated, even after
>> receiving a 'Cannot activate' message.
>>
>> Under the kernel that does work, three devices appear in the config
>> utility (eth1, eth0.bak and eth0) with eth0 as ethernet and the other 2
>> as wireless (not sure why).
>>
>> Under the kernel that does NOT work, one time there were 5 devices
>> another only 2.  One time I could add a device with the correct
>> hardware, another time the correct hardware was not selectable.
>> Something really screwy going on here.  Hopefully another kernel update
>> will fix it.
>>
>> --
>> *Steven J. Brown*
>>

> Hi Steven. Personally I'd wait and see if the next kernel update fixes the
> problem, and in the meantime use the kernel that works ok for your NIC.
>
> Incidentally, where did you get the 2.6.22.1-15.fc6 kernel? The latest kernel
> on F7 on my other machine only shows 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7, and I'm on FC2 on the
> machine I'm posting from, but looking at FC6's /boot on the same machine (and
> I havn't updated FC6 for a couple of weeks) the latest kernel I have is
> 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6. Just interested.

My kernel updates seem to be coming from the updates-*testing*
repository, so that might explain why I have later releases than you
have.  It might also explain why they don't work right.  I installed yet
another update (2.6.22.1-24.fc6, I believe) and still have the problem.
I noticed the following error at startup:

Determining IP information for etho...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
    failed
> Could you post the output of /etc/modprobe.conf. It would be interesting to
> see if the ethernet card, and the wireless card are there. I ask because I
> have had more than one audio device detected by Alsa, and have had to set
> options lines so that they are loaded in the correct order.

Old (works):
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth0 b44
alias eth1 bcm43xx

New (does not work):
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

The only difference I see is that the aliases for the network cards are
missing.  On another occasion, the lines WERE there, but still no
network connection.

> For example on F7 my ethernet driver shows up in /etc/modprobe.conf as.
> alias eth0 8139too
>
> Now I only have one NIC on each of my two machines, but perhaps you can set
> options lines also if you have multiple network cards. something like
> perhaps.
>
> alias eth0 b44
> options b44 index=0
>
> And if the wireless drivers are also there, set them to index=1
>
> There's also a line you can put in /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent drivers being
> loaded (your wireless ones for instance), but I'm darned if I can remember
> it. I know it starts with "install" (without the double quotes), but can't
> remember the rest of the line.

I don't want to prevent wireless drivers from being loaded because, once
I have the wired one working, I hope to get the wireless working as well.
> Any help folks on that one?
>
> Nigel.

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.