USB stick mounting problems.

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 24 20:33:38 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I know there were several threads on problems mounting USB memory
> sticks using the 2.6.22.1-27 kernel, and I am sorry for starting a
> new one. But if the people with sticks that will not mount will do
> me a favor, maybe we can get a handle on what the problem is. I was
> doing some playing around, and it looks like the partition type
> makes a difference on mounting. If you run "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" where
> x is the letter of the USB memory stick, and look at the partition
> type of partition 1, the post the type and weather the stick mounts.
> What I think is going on is that the HAL rules to mount the sticks
> is having a problem with some partition types.
>
> My own experience:
> PNY 128M stick - mounts.
> /dev/sda1   *           1         495      126704    6  FAT16:
>
> Nextdisk 32M stick - does not mount.
> /dev/sda1   *           1         998       31920    4  FAT16 <32M
>
> The messages in /var/log/messages for the two devices are the same
> except for the identification string...
>
> Mikkel

For what it is worth the following sims and memory stiks all mount and
are displayed with the old kernel and none are even able to be read with
the new kernel. They are:

Cruzer mini 256 MB

Kingston DataTraveler 2 GB

Sony 16 MB Memory Stick

Connect3D Secure Digital Stick 2 GB

These all work fine with the old kernel not at all with the new kernel

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User