F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 25 03:14:43 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>On 7/24/07, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

>> > You didn't answer the question, you merely started spouting FUD.
>>
>> When you stop providing mis-information, I'll stop correcting it.
>
>What exactly would you be correcting?  Please educate us all on your
>background using NVIDIA products.  Or are you just speaking on a topic
>of which you have no first hand knowledge?

Lonnie, I too use the NVIDIA driver.  That code is closed source and NO ONE
HERE has access to it should it be defective.

Now, if you can duplicate the problem using the nv driver, which we as a
group, do have the src code for, then someone might be able to help you.

But, since the NVIDIA driver is closed, these people have no way of knowing if
it is correct, or contains a miss initialized pointer that can scribble all
over the rest of the systems memory, causing all sorts of hate, discontent
and problems.  So as long as you and I use that driver, there is absolutely
zero chance that a kernel bug report filed by either of us will get more
attention than cleared with a notabug, kernel is tainted note in bugzilla.

Those are the revelant facts, and if they don't happen to fit your opinion,
that is unfortunate but it doesn't alter the facts in the real world, so why
don't you either duplicate the problem while using the nv driver, or toddle
off and install windows something or other on your box and leave these good
people to do what they do best, which is to write better code than Bills
best.

You might also take your problem to nvidia, where legit bugs are usually fixed
and new drivers issued in just a few days.  If its indeed their problem.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)