framebuffer fails in standard kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jul 25 13:50:47 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 22:38 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I generally don't care about using framebuffers, and when I do I have
>> been building a kernel from source with the framebuffer built in.
>> However, in the last month, I've had three cases where I wanted to boot
>> with a stock modular kernel and framebuffer, and it hasn't worked.
>>
>> I have built a new initrd with the framebuffer and any needed modules
>> added with "--preload" to get them in early. I have put video=<fb>
>> information in the boot, and always the kernel boots, reads the boot
>> options, and just goes away. Verified using intelfb, radeonfb, and
>> atyfb, each with any needed drivers. But if I build these kernels from
>> source, changing the default config only by building-in the same
>> modules, it works fine.
>>
>> The last time I tried this with a post-2.4 kernel, it worked, but that
>> was a 2.5 kernel, and I haven't needed any video performance since.
>>
>> Is this typical, should it just work, or ??? I have multiple systems to
>> try, and all with work fine if I build in the exact same modules.
>
> Not sure if this is your exact issue, but it may help anyway.
>
> To get the FB module inserted whenever you install a distro kernel,
> create /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd with contents:
>
>         MODULES="radeonfb"
>
> Put any module options in /etc/modprobe.conf before rebuilding the
> initrd.
>
> I use the radeonfb on my Thinkpad to deal with a suspend power issue,
> and those two steps work for me.

Thanks for the thought, I have the distro kernel installed, but I can
set that and wait, or try to just do a mkinitrd. From the somewhat
sparse docs it looks as if this does the same thing as using "--preload"
which I was trying, but it certainly won't hurt to try again!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>