looking for POS software

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Wed Jul 25 22:33:08 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:38:58 -0400
> jack wallen <jlwallen at monkeypantz.net> wrote:
>
> Depending on what your actual field requirements are, it might be easier
> to write your own custom program to fit that particular business than any other
> solution.

i'm looking for something to take care of inventory mostly. i have about
10 users who are not at all computer savvy. so what i need is inventory
control with the click of a button. and different types of sales
(customer sales, in-store use, wholesale sales, etc).

> Again, it depends.  Glorified cash register?  That's one thing.  Inventory
> control, appointment scheduling, time allocation, partridge-in-a-pear-tree?
> Well, that's more than that and maybe more than it's worth for a small salon.
> Or maybe not.
>
> You are the only one who's currently in a position to make that determination.
>
> I realize that this isn't a terribly informative answer but unfortunately there
> isn't enough provided in your question to give you a better one at the moment.

unfortunately i am not a developer. i wish i were because i would
already be hard at work on this. if i were i'd be doing full-blown salon
application that can do:

client booking
client contact information (including color formulas and such)
inventory
payroll

unfortunately the salon industry doesn't have any open source software
available. it's all proprietary and either windows or mac based. again,
if i were a developer, this industry would have something for it for the
linux platform.

if anyone is interested in creating something for this industry - i
would be willing to act as a sounding board as well as a test
environment. i can not pay for the software (hence one of the reasons i
am looking at Linux and open source) but i certainly can offer up ideas
and help. i can also write all the user documentation and such.

if anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.

thanks all.
--
jack wallen, jr. www.monkeypantz.net
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. - Voltaire