How hot is hot! for a cpu?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jul 26 15:20:03 UTC 2007

Chris wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:59:47 -0500
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> How hot does the cpu have to get before one should be worried?
>>

> If you fry 2 (not 1) eggs, then I might say there is an issue.
> In reality - the vendor should have specs on acceptable limits. Of
> course, if the PC freezes (like mine did using an AMD proc when
> compiling ANYTHING), that would be a sure sign you might want to get a
> 9.00 box fan from Wal-Mart and use it *grin*

To give you an example, the CPU in this desktop has a max temp
rating of 73c, but my laptop has a max temp rating of 100c. There is
not an accessible temp sensor on this desktop, so I do not know what
the CPU temp is, but it does control the CPU fan speed control, and
is usually at slow speed, so I suspect it is cool enough. The laptop
tends to run about 40c, and the fan kicks in at 43c if I remember
right. I would expect the laptop CPU to run hotter then the desktop
when they are both loaded down.

Mikkel