libexif-0.6.12-5 not working on FC5/i386

Rennie deGraaf rennie.degraaf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 03:44:13 UTC 2007

Hello,

I recently updated to the latest version of libexif and libexif-devel
(version 0.6.12-5) for Fedora Core 5 i386 using 'yum update', and now
applications that use libexif don't recognize the EXIF tags on my pictures.
I have tested eog and gthumb; while both still display images correctly,
neither recognizes EXIF tags.  Other applications that parse EXIF tags
without using libexif (such as gqview and exiftool) continue to display EXIF
tags properly, proving that they have not somehow been stripped from the
images that I was trying to view.

My version of gthumb is a self-compiled CVS snapshot from November 2006, but
the rest of the programs mentioned are the latest FC5 updates.  I tried
re-compiling my version of gthumb, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?  Is the latest libexif update
broken?

Thanks,
Rennie deGraaf