F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 27 15:29:19 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:

>> and that didn't work with a scanner as user (only as root): once
>> again, I assume that the tester should at least have a scanner and an
>> USB stick and check them before issuing.
>> Otherwise three jumps ahead and two jumps back!!! and you don't know
>> what is going to be broken: updating means updating, not improving
>> some parts and killing others :-(
>
> For what its worth, its not as simple as you are making out.
>
> For me, the latest kernel actually fixed USB mounting - I now get it
> automatically whereas before I didn't. I use KDE, maybe thats important ?
>
> Also what makes you think anyone owes it to you to test *your* hardware
> for you before releasing updates - Fedora isn't RHEL you know, no
> support guarantees etc. I suggest you take a look at the testing mailing
> list / repos to see how hard the testers do work. Still bugs will still
> get through in a bleeding edge distro like Fedora. Either make an effort
> and do the testing yourself and provide feedback, or use a more stable
> distro, like a RHEL derived work (centos... etc.)
>
> Chris

The way I look at it is that the developers only have so much
hardware to test things on. If it works with their hardware, then
they release it to testing so that users with other hardware can
test it. If it works for the testers, then it gets out to the
general Fedora users. There it is used on many more hardware
combinations. From the reports of things not working, data is
gathered to hopefully fix other bugs. The end results are passed on
to less bleeding edge distributions so that they do not run into the
same problems. Some things that are tested on Fedora will probably
never make it into more stable distributions because they were a
good idea that didn't work out in practice.

Just my 2 cents...
Mikkel