AP: Hungary Officials Raid Microsoft Office

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Fri Jul 27 16:29:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 16:12 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> > Am I the only one who thinks that posts like this only lower the
> > signal-to-noise ratio here?
> >
> > Seriously, we have quite enough traffic on this list as it is, and this
> > has nothing really to do with Fedora. At all. If I wanted to discuss
> > what Microsoft is up to in Hungary, I'd go waste my time on Slashdot.
>
> I'm sorry, that was 'signal', was it?

At least it was about posting to the list, which has something to do
with the list. I'll grant that it was meta-topical.

> Because that was 25% of your
> posting here for the week.

Now I guess it's 20%.

> The other 65 posts I made here this week were actually trying to solve
> other peoples' problems.

Good for you. But I wasn't replying to nor complaining about the other
posts. I was talking about this one. I don't see how the number posts
You or I make is relevant to whether a particular one is on topic.

> Since Microsoft are trying to own Linux through patent threats, an
> involved person takes note of goings-on with their enemy.

All I was saying is that I think that's a pretty low bar to set for
on-topic conversation. I've always imagined, perhaps incorrectly, that
the list was "For users of Fedora" because folks having trouble with
Ubuntu should look elsewhere for their information. Surely, news of
regional anti-competitive rulings against Microsoft aren't even as
topical as that.

Feel free to get in the last word if you want. I'm done.

-Alan