Package Updater fails on dependency failure, but dependency is there

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 28 13:15:45 UTC 2007

Eric wrote:

> Good morning, all.
>
> First of all, I'm certain this question has been addressed before but I
> cannot find any way to search the archives... only thing that's
> available is to call up each archive individually, open each thread
> individually that looks like it might contain useful information, and read.
>
> Isn't there a way to search the archives on keyword?
>
> Now, my main question... attempting to use Package Updater to update my
> F7 installation on VMware (which has always worked well before) and got
> "Error resolving dependencies".  Clicked on Details and got "Missing
> Dependency firefox=2.0.0.4 is needed by package Democracy".
>
> First of all, what the heck is package Democracy?  I tried to find it in
> the list of stuff to be updated, so that I could deselect it and update
> everything else, and it wasn't there.
>
> Mainly, though ... I HAVE Firefox 2.0.0.4.  How do I convince Package
> Updater that I have what it says it needs?

You misunderstood the message. You have a package called Democracy which
is build against a older version of Firefox while a newer version is
available as an update.

If you want to learn what a package is for you can do yum info
<packagename>. In this case it is a media player and you can remove it
if you don't need it.

# yum remove democracy
# yum update

Rahul