Goodbye F7... Hello FC6 ...why not F8 test 1?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 30 16:05:44 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 12:00 -0300, Thomas TS wrote:
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> Fedora 8 test 1 is about to kick off. Are you sure you don't want to
>>> go forward instead of reverse?
>>>
>> After a week of pain... moved back to FC6 and life is good again !!!
>
> Well, things worked for me with F7. Now moving to the first test is full
> of problems as of today.
>
> Seamonkey, thunderbird do not work. The kernel does not shut off the
> computer with power management. Those are just two problems that are
> straight out broken.
>
>> When 8 arrives, maybe i try the 7.
>
> One release back might be best for stability. That is if the bugs in F7
> are reported and fixed. Otherwise, the problem won't be known and still
> present within later releases.
>
> I understand the reality though regarding using earlier releases until
> the settling.
>
> Jim

I think the issues with F7 are related to the major changes in the
kernel that are affecting different software applications in different
way son different pieces of software.

Also, finding some issues with Bugzilla can be a pain for those that
don't want to take the time to learn.  Of course if you have an issue
that is slightly related to either the ATI or Nvidia video drivers, you
will have to back out of the closed source driver just to submit a bug
report.

I am frustrated with F7 and it has greatly delayed the upgrading of my
other machines from FC4 which is working like a dream.

Yes, I submit bug reports if I can find out any details to submit.  I am
also running into what seems to be a new issue every other day.

I would like to see F8 delayed or maybe F9 delayed until even the minor
issues are resolved.  At least this would give a pretty clean base to
work with F9 from.

At present, I cannot show off F7 as a replacement for Windows in any
way.  Heck, it is even making me have some thoughts about Windows.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.