[F7] Nouveau driver crashing X

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Mon Jul 30 21:26:52 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 19:25, Robin Laing wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > While giving up on closed nvidia drivers for the time being (I'll give it
> > another shot in a month or two, when I get more free time), I just tried
> > the open-source alternative for 3D on my old nVidia GeForce 4, namely
> > nouveau.
> >
> > This driver also crashes X (though not so severely, for it brings me back
> > into the prompt after the crash), so I need some advice. I read the
> > Xorg.0.log, and while it does not give me any hint as to why the crash
> > occurred, I see that it looks for the file /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so,
> > and fails to find it (because the file isn't there, as I checked). But it
> > passes over that error and continues, crashing somewhat later for no
> > apparent reason in the log. So, three questions:
> >
> > 1) Why is the file nouveau_dri.so missing?
> > 2) Why does X crash?
> > 3) What can I do about it?
> >
> > The log file and xorg.conf are attached. I should also mention that the
> > basic nv driver Just Works, of course without 3D.
> >
> > Any help?
>
> Does the Nouveau driver crash in the same way as the Nvidia driver?

Well, sort of... After I do a startx the screen blanks, and in nvidia driver
case, stays there (all I can do is reset the machine). In nouveau case it
does the same, but after several seconds X gets killed automatically and I
end up back in the prompt, so I don't have to reset.

> With both the Nvidia driver and the nv driver, I can see xorg climb when
> viewing a video and scanning forward or increasing the speed with mplayer.
>
> What I do is open top with the -d 1 so I get a quick update.

I'll try that with the nv driver, to check. Nvidia driver doesn't start for
me, so I cannot compare.

> Also, I have not had a freeze in F7 with the latest two kernels.  I
> still have problems using the nvidia drivers though.

I'm still running kernel 2.6.21-1.3228. Being on dial-up makes updating a bit
hard to do. But I'll mirror the repositories again on Friday when I get to
the office, bring them home on a couple of dvds, and then I'll start testing
the drivers again with a newer kernel.

Best, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic