New hang on suspend, anyone?

M Daniel R Magarzo 4.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:41:21 UTC 2007

El mar, 31-07-2007 a las 19:40 +0200, Patrick escribió:
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 11:03 -0500, chris at idlelion.net wrote:
> > I have a ThinkPad T60 running F7. After the recent kernel update, suspend
> > to RAM no longer works. It drops to text mode, says it is suspending, and
> > locks up.
>
> Try playing with one of the pm-suspend settings. See pm-suspend --help
> for the possibilities. Open a terminal and as root and try for example:
> # pm-suspend --quirk-s3-mode
> or
> # pm-suspend --quirk-s3-bios
> or
> # pm-suspend --quirk-s3-mode --quirk-s3-bios
>
> My laptop (Acer TM6460) needs the first one to properly suspend.
> Also have a look on this webpage:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-advanced.html
> You may need to create that unload_modules file in /etc/pm/config.d/ and
> add some modules like iwl3945, kvmv, kvm_intel.
>
> > I can't get the machine to respond at all with the keyboard, so I can't
> > get to a console.
> >
> > Is this common? Is there a work-around? (I kind of like suspend on a
> > laptop.)
>
> Dunno about common. My laptop suspended/resumed fine with FC6 but with
> F7 it's not resuming anymore. For a work-around try one of the examples
> I gave above.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

The only one thing that occurs to me at the moment would be that you had
a look at gconf-editor > apps > gnome-power-manager. There you could
check some of the keys, using your common sense.

My laptop is a ThinkPad T42 and I must recognize that with F7, for the
first time in the whole Fedora serie (since F3 maybe..?), suspend to RAM
_does_ work here out-of-the-box. Though, actually I don't use its method
now either.

The reason is that I got used to some scripts that I obtained from
http://www.thinkwiki.org and other places over there.., this since FC4,
they _did_ work easily, therefore I put them into each Fedora release I
install here.

Since you own a ThinkPad, _maybe_ you are interested in to have a look
at the above place. I suppose you're using the F7 built-in
suspend-to-ram.

Daniel