F7 thinks I got SCSI disks.

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 10:00:08 UTC 2007

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> After having booted the F7 installation DVD and entered my language and
> keyboard  choices I get a warning box saying I got more than 15
> partitions on /dev/sdb and that the SCSI subsystem in the Linux kernel
> does not allow that.
>
> The are two problems in this. First: I do not have SCSI disks on my
> system, I have two IDE disks of 120 GBs each. Secondly: I have 16
> partitions on /dev/hdb which have never posed any problem for me, in
> fact I have /var on /dev/hdb16 and my FC5 has be rock stable.

I think what you are seeing is 'correct' and is due to changes in how
devices are handled in the kernel. hda disks do become sda ones. A quick
google search for this brought up this thread for instance

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14

I'm not effected by this, so I cannot offer any help. But I'm sure
others on this list can.

Chris