Fedora 7: Finishing upgrade process. This may take a little while...

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 2 00:45:20 UTC 2007

William Perkins wrote:
<snip>
> I am wondering if this is normal when doing upgrades rather than
> a fresh install.  The latter takes so long to get the system
> back to the original configuration.  Any suggestions?
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't know about upgrades. But I do know about fresh installs.
And, indeed for us mortals (i.e. non-commercial entities, see the other
mail) it takes a bit more work. But you can get most of the pain out of
the fresh install by smart partitioning.

What I do is at least have one partition for the /home directory, one
work directory for my projects and downloads and one backup directory
for executing backups (i.e. it contains my backup scripts).

The most important one is the /home directory though, because usually
all of your settings per application are saved in your home directory.

There are a few buts her:

1. save the system configuration files for servers et al before you do a
fresh install (like samba, http etc).
2. save your root's home directory contents if that is important.

And yes it takes time, but only to get your set of applications back the
way you wanted them.

Hope this helps.

Guus.
--