problem with sound on my father's computer

stan stanl at cox.net
Sat Jun 2 00:52:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:19:22 -0500
"Scott Berry" <sberry at northlc.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> We are having problems with sounmd on my father's computer.  I see
> that it looks like a whole bunch of things are using the same memory
> address.  Here are the items I get when using lspci:
> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC
> Interface Bridge (rev 02)
> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
> Controller (rev 02)
> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA
> Controller (rev 02)
> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus
> Controller (rev 02)
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
> (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Contro
> ller (rev 02)
>
> What can I do about this?
>
> Scott

I found out today again that many devices can share the same interrupt
under linux.  So I don't think this is your problem.

run aplay -lLv to see if there are any sound cards recognized and if
alsa has defined any aliases.

Then run
aplay -D hw:0,0 some.wav
if there is at least one sound card.

If this works, you have a configuration/cabling issue.  Check that the
sound card you played is the one with speakers.  Then use an
application like xmms to change the sound to the appropriate driver and
play a song.

If you have no sound cards, it is possible that the sound is not
supported by alsa or it is turned off in the bios.