Installation of Fedora 7 no go

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 2 03:44:02 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- "A.J. Bonnema" <abonnema at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>>    I have been trying to install Fedora 7 on an
>> older
>>> machine AMD-1800XP, 512MB Ram and it has not
>> worked.
>>> Media check passes and I get a bug message from
>>> anaconda.  The machine worked with FC3 and kernel
>>> parameter acpi=ht, because it did not shutdown
>>> properly.

> It has happened after the partitioning scheme.  I let
> it do its thing, use free space and then all of a
> sudden, this happened.
>
> I later tried again and I got the following:
>
> Unable to read package metadata.  This may be due to a
> missing
> repodata directory.  Please ensure that your install
> tree has been correctly generated   cannot open/read
> repond.xml file for repository:
> anaconda-base-200705271038.i386
>
> I also tried a text-based install and it does not want
> to work either.  It bombs out with the same message.

If the machine still runs your previous version, can you {just for a
giggle} mount the DVD and copy the complete contents to your hard disk ?
Is this successful ?

It may be your DVD drive is getting 'weak' in old age.

In fact, if you have the space and a partition {that does not need to be
formatted} that can hold the size of the dvd.iso image, perhaps you can
do a "hard disk" method installation ?

DaveT.