F7 Non-DVD install confusion ??

Jimmy Bradley bmobile40 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 3 05:24:28 UTC 2007

         OK, I have the save problem as a number of you do. The
inability to burn dvd's. Plus one of my Fedora machines is an Apple
Ibook, so the live cd isn't an option for me on that machine. I have one
pc that I run Mandriva linux on, and they too have released their latest
version on DVD only. Sure, you can download and install Mandriva One, or
Discovery, which are one cd live runs and installs, but they lack a lot
of software packages in their repositories.
        This is how I solved the dvd problem on that machine, and I'm
going to try and use the same method on my Ibook to upgrade from FC6 to
7.
        I downloaded the dvd iso to my hard drive, and then I used kb3
to burn the image, but instead of to a dvd, I had kb3 create  the dvd in
my home folder. Then I used a boot cd, and instead of choosing network
install, I chose to install from the hard disk, and then pointed it to
the location where the dvd had been created. I chose to upgrade instead
of doing a clean install, and it actually worked, and upgraded. Now
granted, I'm not mentioning every single step that I had to go through,
and I don't know if the same thing is possible with F7, but I'm going to
give it a try. The network install kept stalling out, so I had to try
something else.
         I think one of you already mentioned trying something very
close or just like it, but I'm not sure. Please excuse some of my
non-technical jargon.

Jim