Finally got around top putting F7 on my lappy & need a radio

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Jun 3 13:45:01 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Not sure where you're setting mode to "client" but that's not a valid
> >value.  Managed tends to work unless you know what you're doing and you
> >know why you need one of the other vales.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Dave
> >

> Thanks Dave, I'll play with it some more tomorrow.  The avahi-daemon is
> killing me too, so I'm going to read up on that puppy too.
Looks like something like system-config-network puts the value in the
appropriate ifcfg script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

[dave at spindle network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
# Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:90:4b:ac:8f:67
PEERDNS=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=spindle
TYPE=Wireless
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
ESSID=pr3v3ct
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Auto # <== HERE
RATE=Auto

Although not documented in the man page, "auto" (as above) appears to
work.  Setting my wireless to mode = auto just gets me "Managed" when I
then do an Iwconfig.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce