fedora customized for low-end systems?

lostson lostson at lostsonsvault.org
Wed Jun 6 11:59:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 04:16 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to "sell" linux and fedora in my home country. What is a
> good option for those with low-end systems? I know that one option is to
> download Fedora and then add XFCE or Fluxbox, etc, but that brings in all this
> junk with KDE and Gnome. Is there an easy way to get around this? Somehow,
> minimall install seems far too clunky.
>
> Now, we all know that any bloated linux system is better than Windoze, but that
> is not the issue. I am looking for an unbloated system for people who can't
> upgrade every other month, or 5 years, really!
>
> Any thoughts?
> Best wishes,
> Trotter

 I would start with openbox very light on dependencies then add things
like sylpheed, maybe Thunderbird, and centerICQ or gajim. Firefox is
probably a must have but you always have linx as well. there are many
command line apps like mutt and pine as well. I would look alot more
into command line apps than gui apps. They usually have none or a few
dpendencies and thats it.
--
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org