Proposal for New Installation Features

Browder, Tom Tom.Browder at fwb.srs.com
Wed Jun 6 22:09:07 UTC 2007

Since reading more about labels for F7 I've labeled my existing systems
something like this:

device       label         mount point
------       -----         -----------
/dev/sda1    disk1boot     /boot
/dev/sda3    disk1root     /
/dev/sdb1    disk2usrlocal /usr/local

When I try to install, anaconda reports the labels correctly, and when I
select the proper mount point and have / and /boot reformatted, the
labels get changed to:

device       label         mount point
/dev/sda1    /boot         /boot
/dev/sda3    /             /
/dev/sdb1    disk2usrlocal /usr/local    # no change

My desire is to keep my old partition labels because I move disks around
a lot and a unique label for existsing partitions, whether or not I
reformatted the disk, would be useful in many cases.

-Tom