Op not permitted. Warn: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsi

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at bozemanlug.org
Fri Jun 8 02:30:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:08:23PM -0700, stan (stanl at cox.net) wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:22:59 -0600
> Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at bozemanlug.org> wrote:
> > wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
> > limits.scsi
>
> /usr/sbin/groupadd -f cdrom
> /usr/sbin/usermod -a -G cdrom "yourlogin"
>
> man groupadd
> man usermod

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, I know how to make sand castles in the sky.  What makes the group
'cdrom' special on Fedora that it can raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?  (Read
"special" as something along the lines of suid.)

This isn't just about me fixing my system.  This is about fixing it the
"Fedora way" so that future updates don't break what I do.  It is also
about documenting this for others who run into the same problem.

Thank you,
--
I reason and act, therefore, ken_i_m
"Doing my part to spread the free