F7: quite a lot of troubles

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Fri Jun 8 08:22:21 UTC 2007

Although F7 has a lot of nice things it also comes with
more bugs and troubles than I reckoned with, for example:

- One PC I can't use at all (dell dimension E520 with Intel
  Core2 Duo and onboard Intel 10/100 ethernet)
  F7 x86_64 installed without any problems but on reboot
  it halted when dhclient failed to establish a connection.
  After a couple of minutes it passes but I have no networking
  Trying to bring eth0 up or down afterwards causes problems
  and does not work. Sometimes the pc even freezes completely
  and I have to pull the power plug.
  Going to cause extra trouble to update without networking.

- One other PC (nvidia Nforce 3 chipset, MSI mainboard and
  AMD64 cpu) shutsdown (from the menu) allright but does NOT
  powerdown.
  Furthermore it seems to have powernow-k8 problems and I have to
  use the F1 key at boot to proceed.
  Last but not least: time seems to have gone completely crazy.
  Everytime I boot time comes up 'januari 1 2003 1.47 AM'.

- On a laptop (dimension 6000 with F7 i686) I seem to have
  no serious problems yet.

- On all 3 the pc's there are quite a lot of SElinux problems.
  Using the standard fix (restorecon) does not help.
  For example postfix can't append to /var/spool/mail/user or
  /var/spool/mail/root.
  But there are more problems that pop up occasionaly.

- Have things changed in mutt: the 'c' key does not switch to
  a new directory anymore.

I will leave it at this. Had to vent some frustration.
If I gather enough energy to investigate properly I shall
bugzilla the bugs this weekend.

Alexander