Software RAID5 setup during installation

Don Harden harden at gsu.edu
Fri Jun 8 20:41:23 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I've been using Linux for years but this my adventure into software RAID.
Anaconda in both FC6 and FC7 dies with an exception  when RAID5 is chosen.

Hardware: Dell Power Edge SC 430
	Pentium 4
	512 MB RAM
	three 250 GB SATA II drives on the MoBo controller
	no hardware or pseudo-hardware RAID

Start the installation
Choose "Create custom layout"
Configure the disk as:
	sda	/boot 100 MB
		swap 512 MB
		Software RAID "Fill to maximum allowable size"

	sdb	swap 512 MB
		Software RAID "Fill to maximum allowable size"

	sdc	swap 512 MB
		Software RAID "Fill to maximum allowable size"

Then "Create a RAID device" and choose RAID5 and select sda3 sdb2 sdc2
After checking if everything is OK and clicking "Next"  I get

"exception occurred..this is most likely a bug."

When I put FC7 on sda using LVM and use sdb and sdc for RAID1 during setup I
do not get the above error.

While Googling for a solution I read that Anaconda uses dmraid which does not
support RAID5.  If this is true then why does Anaconda give RAID5 as choice?
Also is there away to use mdadm instead of dmraid?

Thanks in advanced.

--
Dr. Don Harden
Department of Chemistry