Why I quit Fedora 7

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jun 9 17:33:39 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>
>>    I have applied quite a few updates over the past few days. And
>> still I'm having problems you do not. Not sure why. But for me the
>> basic things just do not work.
>
> Did you start with a clean install or did you do an upgrade to an
> older version?
    I started with a clean install, not upgrading anything.

> The latter can cause some problems and it is much safer to back up
> your own data minus the dot-config files in your home directory (which
> takes some contortions if you want to keep email folders, etc that
> might be there), and put them back after the new install.  Now that
> disk drives are fairly cheap you might want to install on a new drive
> and set up dual booting so you keep all of the old data until
> everything works and fall back to the old system if needed. Or for a
> less drastic approach, install vmware on the old system and run the
> new one as a guest until you are comfortable with the way everything
> works.
>
> The other thing likely to cause unusual problems is installing
> software that replaces system components from places other than the
> stock fedora repositories (and livna is usually OK), letting yum
> resolve the dependencies.
    Mozilla has been good to always make a Linux version of their
software. I am used to going there and getting what I need.

>   That doesn't always break things but it should be the first thing to
> suspect if you've done it and I think you did mention at least a
> thunderbird and some libraries.  If you have problems that others
> don't, you'll probably have to get back to a stock system and see if
> they are fixed.

    I might try that. It has been VERY bad, what with the printer and
Email client not working it is a real bad start. Also Fedora 7 doesn't
always come up right. It often comes up without any controls. Others
have this same problem.

Karl