Unknown symbol video_devdata etc....please help

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 9 20:13:08 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007, Parth Pathak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is my message getting through???
> Can someone please help with the problem I described below??
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> pp
>- Hi all,
>
> I am working on distro - FC6 and kernel 2.6.20-1.2952.fc6.
>
> while making my Logitech Quickcam express run, I compiled qc-usb-0.6.5.
> while loading the compiled module quickcam.ko I get following error saying
> Unknown symbol in module.
>
> my dmesg says something like this -
>
> quickcam: Unknown symbol video_devdata
> quickcam: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
> quickcam: Unknown symbol video_register_device
>
> I search on internet regarding this error and found many different things
> but not a specific thing I should do. I think some other module is
> preloaded and it is conflicting with the new one I am trying to load.
> Please help me with this problem.
>
> thanks

It seems to be udev-related.  I say that because I'm seeing lots of Unknown
messages similar to this at bootup, and they were only there the last few
days.  I can't find the actual messages in the logs, which is frustrating to
say the least, but I got the impression that they concerned some custom udev
rules that gave no problem at bootup up to the last couple of weeks.  It
could be even shorted, as this box has been down for a while.

Anne