Wifi problems (FC 6)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 9 20:49:42 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007, Joe Barnett wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 June 2007, Joe Barnett wrote:
> >> Try running "ntpd -gq" at the end of rc.local to sync the clock.
> >> Then kick off nptd (with your normal settings) following that.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand that - what do you mean by the second
> > statement?
>
> I apologize for the confusion.
>
> "ntpd -gq" runs the daemon only long enough to sync the clock, then
> it quits.  Think of ntpdate.  Why not just use ntpdate?  Good
> question.  man ntpd indicates that ntpdate is going to be retired at
> some point, and that ntpd -q should be used instead.  -q seems to
> stand for quit (as soon as the clock is adjusted).  -g tells ntpd
> not to exit with error if the offset is greater than 1000 seconds.
>
> I am not sure why they want to retire ntpdate as it seems a very
> useful tool.  Anyway...
>
> Both the stock ntpd and openntpd have features which should bring
> the clock to good time as soon as they get a good feed from one or
> more of the servers for which they are configured to use.  ntpd -gq,
> in theory, should not be needed if either ntpd is going to be run as
> a daemon.
>
> That being said, my experience (with both the stock ntpd and
> openntpd) is that it is best to do a gross adjustment first (whether
> by ntpd -gq, ntpdate, rdate, etc.) *then* start the daemon.  That is
> why I use two commands to get my ntp stuff going.
>
> I hope this helps, thanks,

OK - I've put the two commands into rc.local.  Should I be getting rid of ntpd
altogether from rc5.d?  I had thought of re-numbering it to after
wpa_supplicant runs.

I've also taken out of rc5.d the starts for NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher.  I don't they help with a static connection like
this, and they do seem to be hard-coded to run with dhcp - not what I want at
all.

Finally, I think I may have the answer to the bad signals.  iwconfig reports a
lot of noise.  There is a cordless phone on the wall behind this desk - and
the other box that has problems has the phone base unit not far from it.

Anne